Do you have a big move coming up? Should you use professional packing services? 5 Star Moving & Storage in Colorado Springs knows how stressful any size move can be, and we are here to help you every step of the way by providing good advice, a solid and honest reputation and some great reasons why we think you should use professional packing services to help make your move an easy one!
How does it work? The first step is to get an assessment to see what is involved, which will help determine the total cost of your packing services. Consider creating a list of each item that needs to be packed, including furniture, cupboard contents, and kitchen drawers. This will also help determine what’s of value and may need extra special care.
Valuable items such as paperwork, artwork and jewelry should be discussed during a household survey, determining how these items should be handled according to your desires. Any items that you want to take with you on moving day, will be packed separately and set aside for you to take.
You should also be sure to ask about the time estimate as to how long it will take them to pack your belongings. Depending on the size of the move, this usually only takes a day.
So why should you use professional packing services?
Time is probably the biggest factor, and most people cannot take the time off work to get it all done. Packing, preparation and organization take a while, not to mention all the supplies you will need to get your items secured also. When a professional packing crew comes in and boxes up your stuff in one day, that means you don’t have to live out of a suitcase during the majority of the move.
Many people do not have a ton of experience at properly packing items into boxes to be transported. It is quite an art to accurately assess your items and ensure they are packed correctly to avoid damage or shuffled around during the move. For example, packing mistakes that can occur are not filling tops and spaces in cartons with paper, or linens, to ensure contents of the carton do not shift in transit.
Professional packers use industry standard techniques to keep your belongings from damage during transit. There is a different packing technique for everyone and every valuable that you own, and our professionals are well trained in how to do it correctly. For example, certain furniture pieces will be taken apart and meticulously wrapped using padding and protective packing. Artwork and photo frames will be removed from walls and secured with the right packing materials and in the right-size box.
Saving money is key during a residential move and by hiring the professionals, you can cut down greatly on space in the moving van by packing neatly and using the correct boxes and weight distribution for the journey. Be sure to ask about unpacking your items as well. Most times this will be included in the deal, and it can be a very helpful added feature when there is already so much to do to get settled in.
If you want to save a little money, you can pack up the basics and just hire a professional to pack specialty items such as breakables, antiques, mirrors, furniture, artwork, and other high-value pieces. Also, take into consideration appliances if they’re making the move with you. They are heavy, bulky and finicky on how they must be transported. Professional movers are well equipped with muscle power, heavy-duty equipment and know how.
When is it best to hire the professionals to pack?
If you are just moving a small apartment, then there is probably no need to hire a professional mover, but if it is a long-distance move, a large home or office, or you have many valuable assets, then these are all great reasons when it comes to why should you use professional packing services.
Don’t risk losing important items or having them stolen in the process. A long-distance move is just too big of an undertaking for a family to move an entire lifetime of living under one roof! Time is a large factor as well for most people and something to be realistic about.
Here are some things you can do to get involved and make moving a breeze:
- Have a garage sale! Get rid of some of those items you just don’t need following you anymore. Donate unwanted items for people in need and don’t forget to head to the local dump to recycle and dispose of unwanted items so that the new owners can move into a nice clean space.
- Separate valuable things and personal information from items being packed by the professionals for obvious reasons, and take them with you if possible. This will ensure their safe arrival.
- Leave the light, non-breakable items in the dresser and cabinet drawers such as clothes or towels or pieces of clothing. They are light and easy to transport.
- You do not need to empty drawers if you hired a professional team. They will tend to all those tasks and pack everything in your home right where it is.
- If you are moving appliances that will be going with you, it is a great idea to disconnect any water lines or connections as early as you can so the packing crews can prepare it for transit safely and without delay.
- Ensure pets and children are tended to or away from the home during the move. You do not want unnecessary delays or unfortunate accidents occurring.
So now that you know what you know, should you use professional packing services? Well, that is completely up to you and your unique situation, but 5 Star Moving & Storage in Colorado Springs can make your move a much easier and stress-free event. Be sure to call and ask about all of our services, our stellar reputation, and ethical business practices. Your moving quote is just a call away.